Official website for tourism in Champagne-Ardenne -
GR, GRP, greenways, go hiking trails in Champagne-Ardenne.
Good tips for a successful
Going off on a walk is like beginning an adventure... but with a little preparation. Take the time to follow some good advice.
Before the hike:
Prepare your trip:
- Choose a walk that is appropriate to your level and those with you. Do not overestimate your abilities.
- Prepare your route by studying an IGN map, a map guide or a detailed description.
- Check the weather and adjust your trip accordingly:
- Be sure to respect specific prohibitions (hunting period,
protected areas, etc.)
- It is best not to go alone...
Check the weather
Météo France Ardennes: 0892.68.02.08
Météo France Aube: 0892.68.02.10
Météo France Marne: 0892.68.02.51
Météo France Haute-Marne: 0892.68.02.52
Take the proper equipment:
- Wear good walking shoes that will enable you to cross any terrain.
- The weather can change quickly: always take a sweater and waterproofs.
- Take sufficient water (1 litre per person minimum) and food
(energy bars or picnic).
- In your backpack, carry a small knife, a mobile phone, a first aid kit
(disinfectant, bandages, anti-inflammatory cream, elasto tape, sun cream...), possibly a GPS device.
112 : European emergency number
15 : SAMU
17 : Gendarmerie
18 : Fire service
- By bicycle:
Make sure your equipment is in good condition (brakes, lights...)
Take a repair kit
Wear a helmet, it is your only protection
During the trip
- Stay on marked trails
- Paths regularly go onto private property for which a
right of way has been obtained. Respect these properties.
- Flowers are beautiful...in photos
- Take your rubbish away with you
- The footpaths are used by many other people, be tolerant and courteous
- When on your bicycle: obey the highway code.
After the trip