The St. Nicholas Royal Abbey was founded in 1125 by the Premonstratensians order of canons founded by St. Norbert. The abbey architecture follows the layout of the White Canons design and remains include 18th century monastery structures, the chancel, tombs, monumental gate and lodge, a fountain and a 19th century dovecote.
Completely rebuilt in the 17th and 18th centuries, most of the conventual buildings from this period remain, as well as the imposing
vestiges of the church, several annexes and an interesting hydraulic system. It remained under the Premontrés until the Revolution.