Exceptional historical and heritage site.
Napoleon Bonaparte installed the National Stud Farm (haras) within the ancient Montier-en-Der Benedictine Abbey walls in 1808. The present-day buildings date from the mid-19th century. The Abbey church, dating from the 10th century with additional work carried out in the 13th century, is close by.
The stud farm is set in lush green countryside and possesses large arenas, stables, a smithy’s forge, saddlery and loose box garaging, riding school and exercise yards.
The site is now run by Der regional council and has been developed into a tourist and equine centre including the:
- IFCE (French Institute for the Horse and Equitation), whose main activity is the promotion and teaching of team horse work
- Der Region Tourist Office in the historic gatekeeper’s lodge at the site entrance
- AFPAN (International Festival of Animal and Nature Photography Association) in ‘La Maison des Officiers’ (Officers House)
- A delightfully equipped gîte in the historic Haras Director’s house, now La Maison des Officiers
- A multi-function room set up in a former stable, now rented out for training sessions, conferences, family get-togethers and receptions…
- Shows and tourist events welcomed by equestrian displays.
From January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018
Add a review
There is no review about Centre Touristique Du Haras De Montier-En-Der, be the first to leave one !