Built in 1424 by Evrard de La Marck, the impregnable Sedan Castle always had a dual function: formidable fortress and luxurious royal residence.
A secure place for making a stop on the Copper Trail and great testimony to military architecture and the art of fortification, it guaranteed the independence of the little Geneva of the North at the time of the religion wars.
Returned to the French Crown during the time of La Tour d'Auvergne, the town developed around its textile industry.
Having witness the great conflicts of the twentieth century, the Castle is an essential part of French History.
It houses a room dedicated to the Franco-Prussian War of 1870 within its walls.