Ancien Hospice Saint-Nicolas

Historic site and monument ,  Town of art and history at Troyes
  • This home was created in 1157, at the same time as the Hôtel-Dieu (general hospital), on the initiative of Count Henry 1st the Liberal.
    It used to admit poor and old people, orphans and widows. From the end of the 18th century, it also became a training centre for children from all other Troyes hospitals.
    It was entirely destroyed and rebuilt from 1839 to 1842 by Pierre Gauthier, who was the architect of the hospitals in Paris in the same sober and rational style (the Bicêtre, Garches and Lariboisière hospitals).
    All the buildings were restored at the end of the 1990s and converted into privateapartments.
    At the back of the courtyard, the vast porch of the former chapel is crowned with a triangular pediment where the bishop’s accoutrements are sculpted (mitre, crosier and cross) and topped by a pinnacle with a clock. The far eastern edge of the façade marks the site of the first wall of the Gallo-Roman city and of the former porte des Ursins (Troyes eastern gate).
  • Environment
    • In the town centre
Add a review

Leave a review about Ancien Hospice Saint-Nicolas :

  • Horrible
  • Bad
  • Average
  • Good
  • Excellent
There is no review about Ancien Hospice Saint-Nicolas, be the first to leave one !