This “pleasure palace” was built between 1533 and 1546 Claude of Lorraine, 1st Duke of Guise, and was intended as a completion to the medieval stronghold overlooking Joinville that now no longer exists. The castle was built as a reception site and private suite and constructed on one level. It had three rooms: the state room, the ducal suite and the St. Claude chapel.
The building is incredibly rich in sculpted works, notably combat scenes from Antiquity, victory scenes and mythological carvings, reminding us that the Renaissance brought the Greco-Roman antiquity themes back in fashion. There are many indications that both architecture and ornamentation were inspired by the Italian School who were so popular in Fontainebleau.
In the 18th and 19th centuries, the site was passed to other owners before being acquired by the ironmaster Pierre Salin-Capitain in the middle of the 19th century. He managed to return it to something like its former splendour by restoring the castle and laying out the gardens in an informal English landscape style. The castle is now a cultural centre and has a packed cultural programme during the year, together with events for everyone.
From January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019
April 1, 2019
November 10, 2019
* Du 31 mars au 31 mai : - Les week-ends, de 14h00 à 18h00 - Les vacances scolaires de 14h00 à 18h00 (sauf le mardi) - Les jours fériés de 14h00 à 18h00 Du 1er juin au 30 juin - Tous les jours (sauf le mardi) de 11h00 à 18h00 Du 1er juillet au 2 septembre - Tous les jours (sauf le mardi) de 11h00 à 19h00 - Les dimanches de l’été du spectacle vivant de 11h00 à 20h00 Du 3 septembre au 11 novembre - Les week-ends de 14h00 à 18h00 - Les vacances scolaires de 14h00 à 18h00 (sauf le mardi)
- From April 1, 2019 until November 10, 2019