CB-ARBRE A CADENAS_999.jpg

Place du Préau

Town square ,  Historic site and monument at Troyes

  • Former site of the palace of the Counts of Champagne built around 1157 by Henri 1st the Liberal. The palace has two floors; it is flanked by the collegiate church of Saint-Etienne - administered by a chapter of 60 canons. On the upper level, a... Former site of the palace of the Counts of Champagne built around 1157 by Henri 1st the Liberal. The palace has two floors; it is flanked by the collegiate church of Saint-Etienne - administered by a chapter of 60 canons. On the upper level, a tribune allows the Counts to attend the services. The former gardens of the cloister of Saint-Etienne were located on the present Quai La Fontaine.
    During the Revolution, the Palace of the Counts of Champagne was partially dismembered. It was definitively destroyed in 1806, transformed into a "wood port" following the creation of the Haute-Seine canal, and finally converted into a garden in 1900.
    The garden on the Place du Préau is ideal for a short break with a view of the canal.
  • Environment
    • In the town centre
  • Spoken languages
  • Media