Foisches

Village de Foisches

Town, village, neighbourhood in Foisches

  • Foisches, it is also a small rural town. Here, there are six farms... this is a record for the Northern part of the Ardenne!
    In the past, in Foisches, there was a marble quarry. A stele made of pink marble has been placed in the cemetery, pointing out that Foisches was, in bygone days, a mining country.

    A bit of history:
    Foisches is a Gallic appellation of origin. Foisches would come from Colonia Faustina (Colony of Faustin).

    If we go back to the 16th century, it should be known that the...
    Foisches, it is also a small rural town. Here, there are six farms... this is a record for the Northern part of the Ardenne!
    In the past, in Foisches, there was a marble quarry. A stele made of pink marble has been placed in the cemetery, pointing out that Foisches was, in bygone days, a mining country.

    A bit of history:
    Foisches is a Gallic appellation of origin. Foisches would come from Colonia Faustina (Colony of Faustin).

    If we go back to the 16th century, it should be known that the village of Foisches at that time, suffered from its proximity to Givet and the fort of Charlemont. The village was sacked between 1554 and 1558 following the fighting between the French royal troops and the armies of Charles V.
    At the end of the fighting, the captain of Hierges had a fortified house built in the commune, placed near the church of Saint-Martin.

    In 1640, the attack of Charlemont (held by the Spanish) by the troops of the Marshal de la Meilleraye again caused destruction.
    The fortified house was restored in the following years and the adjoining chapel restored in 1671.
    It was transformed into a farm after the Revolution and called the Templar Farm. No reference whatsoever to the Order of the Knights Templar, but simply a family name.

    The village will be ceded, by treaty of March 24, 1772, to the Kingdom of France.
  • Spoken languages